Imagine the scene.
You have decided to take a nice evening stroll on the downs. The sun is setting in the west but yet it is shining beautifully upon the waters. All around you can see the wonder of creation and there is no doubt in your mind that God is good. As you continue your walk you see a young lady sitting with her legs dangling over the cliff edge. As you look closer you can see that she is crying. What do you do?
A) Do you approach her and see if there is anything that you can do to help?
B) Do you mind your own business, believing that there is nothing you can do?
If you answered A, then possibly you might find satisfaction as part of the Beachy Head Chaplaincy Team. The Beachy Head Chaplaincy Team are a team of dedicated, committed Christians, who work together, patrolling the cliff tops at Beachy Head, looking for people who may be depressed or suicidal. We are looking for people who feel called by God to give up some of their time to help bring hope into lives of people who feel hopeless. We need help in both daytimes and evenings and volunteers need no experience in this field because full training will be given. So if the idea of helping despairing people stirs you to action then why not contact us . God can use YOU to make a difference.
What is required of prospective team members?
- We require all prospective team members to commit to at least one shift every other week, ideally every week.
- You need to have been a committed Christian for at least a year.
- You need to be active in a local Church and we will require a reference from your minister.
- As well as the basic training course provided by us you will also need to attend training days throughout the year. Ideally you will be able to attend all the regular training sessions but to remain operational we require attendance to at least 4 of the 6 held each year.
- You need to be willing and able to work as part of a team.
- Any successful applicant once trained will then serve a 3 month probationary period.
- Applicants ideally need to be over 25 and have reasonable fitness as some walking over rough and steep ground is required.
- You will need to have a full car licence (only volunteers over 25 years old are insured to drive the vehicles).
- You will need to agree with our evangelical statement of faith.
- We provide full in house training which normally runs on Saturdays over 5 weeks (Although the days can be changed if it fits in with a group). During this period you will also be required to attend some duties as an observer.
- We will provide the basic uniform of a Hi-viz waterproof jacket, a Polo shirt, Fleece and trousers. You will need to provide your own walking boots. (We can assist in the purchase of walking boots if financial constraints apply.)
- Once trained you will then work alongside experienced team members during a 3 month probationary period.
- Regular team training sessions run six times a year on the last Saturday of every other month. These run from 10.00 to 16.00.
- We provide you with a highly rewarding volunteer opportunity with a strong and passionate Christian ministry which is also one of the busiest volunteer rescue teams in the country.
So what do you do next?
- Contact us and leave us your address. We will send you an application pack which you need to fill out and return to us.
- After we have received your application one of the leadership team will be in touch to arrange an interview.